Sunday, May 11, 2008

Walking Tour of London







I'll continue this blog about our day on Saturday, as we did a lot more than dodge busses. We left our hotel around 9 am and headed down our road, which leads straight to London Bridge. In the tunnels by the entrance to the bridge we came across a lovely farmer's market and we milled around there for a while. On one stall table there sat the largest pile of brownies I've ever seen, and a little boy about Matt Schley's age stood there transfixed. Ever so slowly he reached up and touched one of the brownies in the middle. I got my camera ready so I could snap him, because you could just tell he was going to do it again. But before I could get the shot his father made him stop. We then climbed up the stairs to cross London Bridge. Tim was surprised it was such a plain, modern-looking bridge until I reminded him that the original one "fell down". Ah!




We then took the Queen's Walk along the banks of the Thames as we headed for the Tower Bridge. Tim was pretty sure that the Queen had not walked along there in a long time. Just before we got to the bridge, we came across the Tower of London. It was built in 1078 A.D. and is truly a magnificent building. From there we climbed up onto the Tower Bridge, which is the one you see in most movies. We crossed back over and made our way to the Britain at War Museum, where I saw real-life displays that will be very helpful as I write my novel. I even had the opportunity to sit inside a bomb shelter and hear the sounds of approaching bombers.




After leaving the museum we crossed back over the London bridge and headed west towards St. Paul's Cathedral. From there we hopped the subway to Hyde Park to look for the Animals of War Memorial so we could snap a picture and show it to one of the men we'll be meeting in Plymouth. He asked us to do him this small favor as he has always wanted to see it but never gets to London. Hyde Park is huge and reminds me of Central Park in NY - brimming with flowers and full of people lounging with books or playing soccer. Lots more walking and gawking, and all in all a great day. I'm still trying to find a store where I can purchase a Monopoly Game so the next time we play we can remember visiting so many of the places on the board.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I've looked at every picture Tim has uploaded onto Snapfish and London looks as beautiful as I thought it would. I particularly liked the pictures concerning life during the war....amazing...I found myself really admiring the people I saw in the pictures and thanking the Lord that neither I nor my family has had to go through a war like that. I'm so happy for you two and will be watching and reading and praying each day of your trip!

P.S. $150 a night for your room? I hope that at least includes a complimentary continental breakfast!

Anonymous said...

That place where you can hear the "sounds of the war" must have been really helpful/chilling/interesting/neat. I can't wait to hear about the interviews and other neat experiences!

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.